24 September 2008

Glory

"We grow in glory so that we might assist others in doing so; we give our glory to increase theirs."
(The Sacred Romance by John Eldredge, p. 158)

I've been reading The Ransomed Heart, a collection of devotional readings from John Eldredge's works, and that line caught my eye the other day. It kind of reminded me of one of my favorite quotes, "The glory of God is man fully alive" (St. Irenaeus). I've really been trying to apply that in my life lately, praying daily that God would help me to be more alive. I know that would give Him glory, but I forget that by doing that I can also help others. When we become more alive ("grow in glory"), others see that and are also inspired ("to increase theirs"), and both of those--together and individually--definitely are the glory of God.

Along those same lines, I read this morning:

"Somehow, we human beings are never happier than when we are expressing the deepest gifts that are truly us... God created us and our gifts for a place of his choosing, and we will only be ourselves when we are finally there."
(Quoted from Os Guinness, The Journey of Desire by Eldredge, p. 152-54)

Maybe that's part of being more alive? Finding our gifts, our passions, our deepest heart's desires; and living in them.

What are your gifts? Your glory?

1 comment:

Julie at Ransomed Heart said...

Hi Steph, thank you for your post. We're thrilled that God is speaking to you through John's books.

Did you know that you can sign up to get daily readings from John electronically? All you have to do is create a profile at www.ransomedheart.com and click the box to receive daily readings. And, if you haven't yet, I think you might really enjoy John's latest, Walking with God.

I loved reading about your passions and pray that God brings your heart even more fully alive as you walk intimately with him.

Best to you,

Julie, from the ministry of John Eldredge at Ransomed Heart